Thursday, February 2, 2012

Free Motion Quilting

OK, I'll be the first to admit that stitching in the ditch is a safe and easy way to quilt baby blankets and wall hangings.

However, I want to be able to do more than just stitch in the ditch, so I'm practicing my free motion quilting skills this year thanks to a group of online FMQ'rs who generously have agreed to provide some tutorials and tips to help us improve (see FMQ link on the right side).

I put together a couple of quick quilt sandwiches for practice and gave it a whirl. Man, it's tough! My machine has a stitch regulator which I tried and miserably failed at. It also has a darning foot which I tried and liked a little better, but my stitches are not even and there are some pointy spots that should not be there.



The stitch regulator would be a fantastic tool to use if I can figure out how to get my speed and hand movements coordinated enough to keep the silly thing from beeping at me so I'm willing to put up with the beeping until I'm able to perfect my stitching a little more.



I'll probably also use the darning foot just because it somehow seems more comfortable for me but the stitch regulator is calling my name and I must go try it again.

Like the little train in the nursery rhymes, my new mantra is, "I think I can, I think I can." It may take me all year, but I am bound and determined to improve my FMQ skills!!

No comments:

Post a Comment