Sunday, December 11, 2011

Christmas Cookie Exchange Centerpieces

This was a fun project that my daughter and I did. She asked me to make a couple of folded bags for the two centerpieces she volunteered to do at her church's cookie exchange. The colors were red and silver.

Let me tell you, there is no Christmas fabric to be found in December! I wanted some red fabric with a little silver accent or contrast running through it. I couldn't find anything so I decided to make my own. I found a pretty red fabric, sandwiched a lightweight batting in between the front and back, and went to town adding some stitches from my Bernina 830. The red fabric was slippery and I thought it might be a little tricky adding a binding or trying to fold it over. Instead, I used a beautiful wave stitch on my serger with red and silver thread. It's a little hard to see in the picture, but I think it turned out great.

The key to making this bag, is that it has to be square. Then you fold it in half, corner-to-corner, and stitch both sides. Turn it inside out and you have beautiful bag.





My daughter made the beautiful wreaths in matching colors and filled the bags with mints.

By the way, the cookie exchange was fabulous. Good food, good fellowship, and good music.

Each table was decorated by different women using the same red and silver colors and they all looked beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment